Get Out - Film Review

Get Out is directed by Jordan Peele and stars Daniel Kaluuya, Allison Williams, Bradley Whitford, Catherine Keener and Caleb Landry Jones.

Plot
Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) and his girlfriend Rose (Allison Williams) go to visit her parent's (Bradley Whitford and Catherine Keener) for the weekend. At first, Chris reads the family's behavior as nervous attempts to deal with their daughter's interracial relationship, but as the weekend goes on, Chris learns the truth, which he never could have imagined.

Review
I just watched this film for the first time today and I have to say that it's really good.

Jordan Peele is mostly known for the sketch comedy show he did with Keegan-Michael Key called Key and Peele and they did a movie together called Keanu which was actually my first R-rated film in theaters.

This is a big departure from Peele's other work, this is a serious horror film, which he actually did really well and this is probably one of my favorite films I've seen this year.

The story is really good, but I'm not giving too much away in case you haven't seen it.

This film is both a horror film and a social commentary on racism, which is important to the plot. I prefer how the family isn't in-your-face racist, but more of a passive aggressive kind, where they just think to themselves and hiding it rather than being blatant about it. It's just creepier if you're hiding a a dark secret instead of just being open about it.

The pacing in the movie is actually really good, as I was surprised when I checked the time and saw that I was an hour and five minutes in, and it didn't feel like it was an hour in.

Our cast is amazing here. Daniel Kaluuya is great, I'd like to see him in more things, I'm now excited to see him in Black Panther next year. Allison Williams is great, the parents are great. I liked Lil Rel Howrey as Rod, Chris's friend, that guy was pretty funny.

Speaking of funny, I want to get into my next point: Get Out being nominated for Best Comedy or Musical at the Golden Globes. Get Out has some funny moments (like the parts with Rod) but it is not a comedy, Jordan Peele doesn't really care about what category this movie was in, as he had this to say.

Overall, the movie is creepy, I wasn't really scared but it was creepy, good plot, great acting, racism is bad (true), probably one of my favorite horror films this year.

8.5/10

Previous review - Justice League
Next review - Hey Arnold! The Movie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nun - Film Review

Best F(r)iends - Film Review

Friday the 13th - Film Review