Deadpool - Film Review

Deadpool is directed by an overpaid tool and stars God's perfect idiot, a hot chick, a British villain, the comic relief, a moody teen, a CGI character, and a gratuitous cameo.

Plot
This is the origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds), who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopts the alter ego Deadpool. Armed with his new abilities and a dark, twisted sense of humor, Deadpool hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life (Ed Skrien).

Review
I'm not entirely sure where to start with this review, there is a lot to talk about.

I'd say that this movie is a revenge story, love story, superhero movie, and origin story all in one. It's great at doing all of those things together.

This film is way better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine, we know how that went. They even make fun of it by showing an action figure of Deadpool from that movie. They also make fun of the Green Lantern movie with Ryan Reynolds by showing this card and Wade later mentioning that he doesn't want his superhero suit be be green or animated. When they show that card, you know that this flim won't be a mess like Green Lantern supposedly was. I didn't see it.

One thing I love about this movie is that it doesn't take itself seriously like most comic book movies do. We all need that comic book movie that's not too serious, like this. See Hollywood? Deadpool proves that you don't need to make all your superhero movies so serious.

This film is also R-rated, and not just rated R like a little bit of blood or a little bit of swearing, an F-bomb or two. No, this film is very R-rated. There's shootings, beheadings, swearing everywhere, nudity, and a sex montage with Wade and Vanessa (Morena Baccarin) celebrating various holidays. Although this movie started the whole R-rated thing that superhero movies want to do, like the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was R-rated, and so was the animated Batman: The Killing Joke (which I liked more than others did), but that movie really didn't need an R-rating. To parents out there with kids who love superheroes, just because it's a superhero movie doesn't mean it's for kids.

This is one of my favorite superhero movies of the last few years, no of the decade, actually no, just one of my favorite superhero movies. It's not my absolute favorite, but it's one of them. This movie actually made me a Deadpool fan. I've read some comics, not a lot, I would like to change that. I also played the video game from a few years ago and it was pretty fun.

This movie has a few flashbacks, but they aren't boring. It also has a few secondary characters but they aren't just there for being secondary, they're actually really entertaining.

Let's talk about some of my favorite parts of the movie, this is just going to be random I just mention what comes to mind.

That scene on the bridge is awesome with him killing all those guys with only twelve bullets. It's interrupted by flashbacks, but that's not a problem because the flashbacks are really entertaining. Deadpool traps Francis aka Ajax on the bridge, but escapes while Deadpool is distracted talking to Colossus (Stefan Kapicic) and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (Brianna Hildebrand).

I also really like the scene in the beginning, before the bridge scene, with Deadpool in the taxi with Dopinder (Karan Soni).

Well since I guess we're going backwards, let's talk about the opening credits. When I first saw those opening credits on my TV (I didn't see this until I bought the Blu-Ray a couple years ago), I knew I was going to love this movie. I actually used the names of the actors and director for this review instead of their actual names. These are probably the funniest opening credits I've seen in a movie since Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

The post credits scene is great too. In a parody of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Deadpool comes out wearing a bathrobe telling us it's over and to go home before saying that Cable is going to be in the next movie.

I love the montage of Deapool starting off as a crime fighter searching for Francis and killing people associated with Francis. My favorite part of the montage is when he's about to kill the guy by running him over with a Zamboni.

I love the scene near the end with Deadpool, Colossus, and Negasonic Teenage Warhead against Francis after he kidnaps Wade's girlfriend Vanessa, kills his goons, and gives him a very anti-climatic death after he reveals that he cannot fix Wade's mutation. Also Francis' anti-climatic death wasn't a bad thing, that just made it funnier.

One scene I could just watch and laugh at is when Wade and Weasel (T.J. Miller) are in the bar and Weasel gives his honest opinion about how Wade looks and compares him to avocados.

I also loved the scenes with Deadpool and Blind Al (Leslie Uggams) in her house. We learn that they met through a Craigslist ad and she's starting to regret this. I think how they met is different in the comics though. I love the part where they're on the couch and Wade has a baby's hand on his arm after he cut it off to escape Colossus.

I also really liked the underground facility where they make Mutants and Wade is, well, mutated there and I also liked when the place is destroyed.

I'm having trouble thinking of more scenes to talk about because there's so many, but I'm sure I'll realize one after I publish this. I'm going to talk about the characters now.

Ryan Reynolds is great as Deadpool in this movie. Whenever I read comics with Deadpool in them, I always read them is Ryan's voice. Ryan is hilarious, awesome, and much better than that thing we got in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. We just don't talk about that movie. He also has what is probably the best comic book movie suit ever. It just so accurate and looks like it's straight out of the comics, something the other X-Men movies kinda failed at. I literally can't see anyone else playing this character. Now that I think about it, I kinda would like to see a remake of the Deadpool video game with Ryan's voice instead of Nolan North, that would be cool.

Morena Baccarin is really good as Vanessa, Wade's girlfriend. Wade leaves her for a couple years because of his mutation but he wants her back and Francis kidnaps her and almost gives her the same mutation that Wade got.

Ed Skrien is good as the villain. He is responsible for Wade's mutation and Wade hunts him down so he could undo the damage he did to him, only for Wade to find out that he can't fix him. He dies in a quick and anti-climatic way but that just makes it funnier. I can't really think of much else to say about him.

T.J. Miller is really funny as Weasel and I'm excited to see him again in Deadpool 2. I know he's come under some controversy recently with some allegations and calling in a fake bomb threat... and starring in The Emoji Movie, but he's still one of my favorite characters in the movie.

I thought Karan Soni was funny as Dopinder, Deadpool's cab driver. I loved how Deadpool told him to kidnap and kill his cousin so he could get the girl he liked and you hear him screaming in the trunk of the taxi. Ok, maybe that sounded wrong.

I thought Leslie Uggams was funny as Blind Al, Deadpool's roommate. I pretty mentioned her earlier already so there isn't much else to go by.

 I really liked Colossus in this movie. This is probably the most comic-accurate looking Colossus we've gotten in the X-Men movies. He was played by Daniel Cudmore in X2, X-Men: The Last Stand, and X-Men: Days of Future Past but in here he's completely CGI and played by Stefan Kapicic.

Negasonic Teenage Warhead was awesome in the movie too. I loved when Deadpool called her Sinead and later called her Sigourney Weaver from Alien 3. I guess the studio really couldn't afford better X-Men.

Gina Carano was really good as Angel Dust, one of Francis' goons and is actually very strong, literally. Like she could beat up Colossus. Can't think of much else to say.

Also, one of Stan Lee's funniest cameos ever, but he did have some complaints.

Overall, Deadpool is one of my favorite comic book movies ever. For a while it was my favorite X-Men movie but then Logan came out and it became my favorite of the series. Deadpool is a great movie and I can't think of anything that I don't like about it.

Deadpool gets a 10/10.

Stay tuned tomorrow for a review of Deadpool 2.

Previous review - A Quiet Place
Next review - Deadpool 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday the 13th - Film Review

The Nun - Film Review

The Incredible Hulk - Film Review