A Quiet Place - Film Review

A Quiet Place is directed by John Krasinski and stars him, his IRL wife Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds, and Noah Jupe.

Plot
Two parents do what it takes to keep their children and soon to be newborn safe in a world full of creatures hunting every sound they can hear. Not a sound can be heard from the family hiding in silence, but all it takes is one noise and everything can go wrong.

Review
I'm probably the last person who saw this movie. It came out a little over a month ago at time of writing, and I just saw it today.

At first I wasn't too interested in seeing it, but after hearing how positive the reaction was I decided to check it out. Ryan Reynolds thought it was so good that he adopted John Krasinski and Emily Blunt as his new parents.

The movie itself is great, it's probably the best horror film we I've seen so far this year, the other ones I saw were Insidious: The Last Key and The Open House, but we don't talk about the latter.

This movie isn't great because of it's visuals, but because of it's sound. When you watch it, you know you have to be quiet, like early on I had to cough and I put my face to my arm and tried to cough as quietly as I could. Same with eating popcorn, I would grab a piece as quietly from the box as I could and put it in my mouth and just let it dissolve. It was also quiet in the theater too because there were only two other people in the theater with me.

This family has to be extremely quiet to stay safe from these creatures, like when they play board games they use fabric instead of metal. Instead of eating with plates, they use lettuce. Instead of speaking, they use sign language.

Sign language actually brings me to my next point, in a movie where most of the dialogue is in sign language, it works really well. There's just a few lines of dialogue in the whole movie. It's also fitting since the actress playing the daughter is deaf in real life.

The only scene that was rather hard to watch was when the movie pulls a Home Alone on us and Evelyn (Emily Blunt) steps on a nail a few minutes before she gives birth in a bathtub. That was a little hard to watch.

I'm going to get a little spoilery in here. There are some really good parts in here, such as thescene where Evelyn and her daughter Regan (Millicent Simmonds) killed one of the creatures but it does lead into a negative I'll mention later.

It's also a great scene when Lee (John Krasinski) when sacrifices himself to save Regan and Marcus (Noah Jupe) from those creatures. I did not see that coming.

Another good scene is when Lee tells Marcus to set off fireworks to distract the creatures so Evelyn can give birth to their new baby.

There are lots of good scenes but those are the ones I could think of off the top of my head. Now I want to get into some negatives I have with the movie.

When it comes to negatives, there really isn't much I can think of. In the beginning, it's 89 days after these creatures invaded, and the family is in this store and the youngest in the family takes a toy rocket that Regan gave him and he takes the batteries with him. When they're walking over a bridge, he turns on the rocket and is killed by one of those creatures. You'd think that after 89 days he would know not to make any noise.

The other negative I have is the ending, well not the ending, just where it ends. It's in the scene where Evelyn and Regan kill the monster with loud noise and a shotgun and then several other come nearby. Now that they know the creature's weaknesses, they prepare to kill them. Evelyn cocks the shotgun and the movie just ends right there. I wish it went on longer, showing the fight and a real ending. Some people might like that the ending is left ambiguous but I wish we got a bit more. There are plans for a sequel so we might get more though.

That's really all the negatives I can think of.

Let's talk about the cast. John Krasinski is great as Lee and he's also a great director too. People are saying this is his first movie, it's not, it's his third. I have not seen his other two but this is not his first.

He's also famous for playing Jim on the US version of The Office (is that show any good?). He almost reminds me a little bit of Jordan Peele with Get Out, they're famous for doing comedy but have done great horror films.

He's great as Lee. Lee is a great character, he's awesome, he cares about his family, and he goes out in a very unexpected way (well I didn't expect it).

John's wife Emily Blunt is great as Lee's wife Evelyn. Even though she didn't talk much, she's actually a pretty good actress here. She actually becomes pretty awesome at the end when she shoots the creature in it's weak spot with the shotgun.

The kids in the movie are really good too. Most child actors are pretty bad in movies they're in, but sometimes they're great, like Dafne Keen in Logan, Corey Feldman in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, and there are some not so great child actors like Jake Lloyd as Anakin. But no, these kids are great. Millicent Simmonds, who played Regan, is deaf in real life, just like her character and she's really good in the movie.

Overall, A Quiet Place is a really good horror film we've gotten this year and it might just be the best horror film of 2018. And it's a PG-13 horror movie that's great! Those are hard to come by but some are really good. I'd highly recommend seeing this in a theater with a very low number of people, and I'd recommend going in blind, that's what I did. Well I didn't go in entirely blind, I knew the premise, but didn't know the spoilers or even what the creatures looked like. But all in all, see it.

A Quiet Place gets a 9.5/10.

Previous review - Avengers: Infinity War (SPOILER FILLED)
Next review - Deadpool

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday the 13th - Film Review

The Nun - Film Review

The Incredible Hulk - Film Review