The Incredibles - Film Review

The Incredibles is directed by Brad Bird and stars Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Sarah Vowell, Spencer Fox, Jason Lee, Elizabeth Peña, Brad Bird, and Samuel L. Jackson.

Plot
A family of undercover superheroes, while trying to live the quiet suburban life, are forced into action to save the world.

Review
I'm not sure where to start here. I guess I could start with that I was a pretty big fan of this movie when I was younger and still kinda am. I still have the PS2 game that I got for Christmas quite a few years ago but I never beat it for some reason.

Since, I don't know how to talk about this movie, I'll just talk about what I really liked about the movie until I wrap this up.

I love how this movie is a tribute to the Silver Age of Comic Books and spy films from the 1960's. This is probably the best Fantastic Four movie we never got. It's better than all four Fantastic Four movies combined.

I really liked the opening scene with Mr. Incredible (Craig T. Nelson) rescuing a cat, meeting Elastigirl (Holly Hunter), then saving someone who didn't want to be saved, stops Bomb Voyage, a villian, from robbing a bank, flying on the cape of Incrediboy (Jason Lee), derailing a train, then getting married to Elastigirl.

After the opening scene of the movie, superheroes have been declared illegal, which kinda reminded me of Watchmen. But I can actually see The Incredibles because it's bright enough to see because Zack Snyder wasn't involved. I really liked Watchmen though.

I really liked when Dash (Spencer Fox) got in trouble for putting a thumbtack in his teacher's chair but gets away with it because they couldn't see it on the tape. And it gave us this. Also, the dinner scene after that is funny.

One of my favorite scenes is Mr. Incredible and Frozone (Samuel L. Jackson) in the burning building, but they get caught by the cops, but Frozone freezes them after getting a drink of water.

I love seeing Mr. Incredible working at an insurance company as a normal person but he just throws his boss through the wall. Also when he picks up his car but stops because the kid on the tricycle sees him.

I really like the montage where Mr. Incredible is secretly getting back into the superhero game without his family knowing.

I really liked pretty much every scene on the Syndrome's island with the Incredibles just destroying all of Syndrome's goons.

One of my favorite scenes was The Incredibles, along with Frozone, fighting Syndrome's robots in the city. That scene is awesome.

So is the scene after that where Syndrome kidnaps Jack-Jack but dies after being sucked into an airplane engine.

The ending where the new villain The Underminer shows up is awesome but ends on a cliffhanger. There was a video game called The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer that acts as a sequel to the movie, but with Incredibles 2, pretty much delcaring that game non-canon. I never played it, but I was always interested in it as a kid.

I'm sure there are other really awesome parts but I can't think of much now.

The only negative I have, and it's not really a big negative, is that the animation looks quite dated. In 2004, it probably looked amazing but animation has changed since then, and it really doesn't look quite as good as other Pixar movies today like Coco.

Now I want to talk about the characters. Craig T. Nelson is great as Bob Parr/Mr. Incredible. He's awesome, but you can tell he really misses being a superhero. Also, he works alone.

Holly Hunter is also great as Helen Parr/Elastigirl. She can stretch, and can shapeshift. Yeah...

Spencer Fox and Sarah Vowell are really good as Dash and Violet. Dash is the typical rebellious, fun loving, mischievous kid but can run very, very fast, while Violet is the shy, emo looking, teenage girl who can turn invisible and make force fields.

It's fitting that they named him Dash, a very convenient name because of his powers, but when you're born they don't know what your power is going to be.

Samuel L. Jackson is great as Frozone but Samuel L. Jackson is great in everything he's in. He can freeze things and he gives us this line.

Jason Lee is good as Buddy/Incrediboy/Syndrome, the main antagonist of the movie. He starts off as a fanboy of Mr. Incredible who wants to work with him, but when Mr. Incredible sends him home because he works alone, he then hates Mr. Incredible. He even plans to kidnap Jack-Jack and raise him as a sidekick.

There's also a part in the beginning where Mr. Incredible calls him Brodie. I'm wondering if that was a reference to Mallrats, where Jason Lee plays a character named Brodie.

Elizabeth Peña is good as Mirage, who at first starts off as Syndrome's right-hand woman, but later becomes good. She's the one who convinces Syndrome to bring Bob over to the island. Due to the death of Elizabeth Peña in 2014, I'm not sure if she'll appear in the sequel. I'll have to see tomorrow.

I saved my favorite character for last: Edna Mode. Brad Bird is amazing as this character. She designs superhero costumes and has designed all of the Incredible's suits for them. But she has one rule: NO CAPES! I can't really think of much to say about Edna that hasn't been said, she's just amazing.

Overall, I love The Incredibles. This is probably my favorite Pixar movie, due to nostalgia and the fact I love superheroes.

It's fitting that the first Pixar movie I review is the first that gets this rating. The Incredibles gets a 10/10.

I cannot wait to see Incredibles 2 tomorrow and review it. See you all then.

Previous review - Best F(r)iends: Volume Two
Next review - Incredibles 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday the 13th - Film Review

The Nun - Film Review

The Incredible Hulk - Film Review