Die Hard 2: Die Harder - Film Review

Happy Festivus! Wait, wrong series again. But really though, it is Festivus.

Die Hard 2: Die Harder is directed by Renny Harlin and stars Bruce Willis, Bonnie Bedelia, Franco Nero, William Atherton, Reginald VelJohnson, William Sadler, John Amos, Dennis Franz and based off the novel 58 Minutes by Walter Wager.

Plot
Two years after the events of the first Die Hard, John McClane (Bruce Willis) is involved in another terrorist plot. This time it's a plane hijacking in Washington DC led by former Colonel William Stuart (William Sadler) in a church. That same night, South American politico and drug profiteer Ramon Esperanza (Franco Nero) is arriving in U.S. custody.

Review
I will say, this is not your typical cheesy 80's action movie sequel (this movie was made in 1990 btw), this movie is actually good, but it's not as good as the first Die Hard.

I can't really say a lot about the plot, as it is typical action movie plot, and I'm really having trouble thinking of things to write, so I'm going to list off random stuff.

This movie shows what icicles are really made for: stabbing people in their eyes.

This film is pretty much the first Die Hard but at an airport and without Alan Rickman. But that's not a bad thing, Die Hard is awesome! Except for the fifth one, but I've only heard things.

The cast is good here. Bruce Willis is great as always John McClane, the NYPD turned LAPD cop in Washington DC to stop a terrorist plane hijacking.

Bonnie Bedelia is good as Holly Gennero, pretty much the same as in the first Die Hard, so there's not much to say.

William Atherton is back as Richard Thornburg from the first Die Hard, although there's a bit more to him. He notices that other planes are flying unnaturally close to the plane that he and Holly are on, so he and another passenger use a listening device to listen to the cockpit communications and then finds out that terrorists are hijacking the plane and uses this to get a story about this on the news and later gets tasered by Holly when learning that he was broadcasting from the plane.

Reginald VelJohnson is back as Al Powell, he's only in one scene though as John faxes him fingerprints of someone who died at the airport, but turns out that the guy died twice.

Franco Nero is fine as the villain General Ramon Esperanza, a South American dictator and drug lord who tries to be freed by William Stuart and his men and succeeds and tries to escape the US and restore power to himself and sell cocaine all over the world and fails.

William Sadler is also fine as Colonel William Stuart, the guy responsible for hijacking the airport to rescue Ramon. He succeeds at rescuing him but fails at killing John McClane and fleeing the US with Ramon. He dies in a plane explosion caused by John.

All the other cast members, such as John Amos who plays Major Grant, the Major who also tries to free Ramon. He dies after being sucked into a jet engine after a fight with John McClane. And Dennis Franz, a stubborn cop from the airport who hates John McClane (of course).

I'm really sorry this review probably turned out bad, I had trouble thinking of things to write, unlike my review of the previous Die Hard where I had a lot to write. My reviews are like this, sometimes I'm at the top of my game and other times I just can't think of anything. I'm really sorry for that.

Overall, this is not your typical cheesy action sequel, it's actually really good but not as good as the first one though. This is actually my first time watching it ever, I think I have another movie to watch around the holidays.

This is my last review before Christmas and sometime after Christmas I'll review 1922 and Death Note and maybe, maybe I'll review Bright. I'll see about that last one.

Happy Festivus!

8.5/10

Previous review - Die Hard
Next review - 1922

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wonder Woman - Film Review

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers - Film Review

2nd Greatest Movie Ever Made - The Disaster Artist - Film Review