Mission: Impossible 2 - Film Review

Mission: Impossithon Day 2

Mission: Impossible 2 is directed by John Woo, and stars Tom Cruise, Thandie Newton, Ving Rhames, Dougray Scott, Richard Roxburgh, and Anthony Hopkins.

Plot
IMF Agent Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise, again) is sent to Sydney, to find and destroy a genetically modified disease called "Chimera".

Review
I didn't like this movie much, it's pretty forgettable. The first hour is slow and the action doesn't pick up as much until the second act. And I just couldn't get invested in it. I don't even remember some of the characters names, so I'll just refer to them by the actors' names.

Also, if your movie is already as slow as Mission: Impossible 2 is, don't overuse slow-mo as much as Mission: Impossible 2 does. Also, this film originally had a 3 1/2 hour long cut. I'll pass on that.

I will say, the movie is shot very well and some of the action scenes do look really good, but it's not enough to save this movie for me. Some of the action scenes are a bit over-the-top, like the car chase with Ethan and Nyah (Thandie Newton). The movie also takes itself too seriously at times. It's a pretty different movie than the first Mission: Impossible, and it just doesn't work. Also, what's with all the doves?

If the first movie was complicated, this is just a good guys vs. bad guys who have a very bad bioweapon plot where the only twists and turns are someone taking a mask off or injecting themselves with the virus.

Now let's talk about the characters. Tom Cruise is back as Ethan Hunt and wow is he different. In the first movie, he took everything seriously, the mission always came first, he always knew what he was doing, and he was kind of a man on the run, but in this movie it's like they turned him into a carefree, playboy, Bond-like character, he meets the girl and then sleeps with her, and he goes rock climbing. Why does he go rock climbing? Is it just so we can see Tom Cruise rock climbing? He's not as good here as he is in the first one.

Thandie Newton is ok as Nyah, Ethan's love interest and also Dougray Scott's character's love interest. I think she was a professional thief also. Near the end she injects herself with the Chimera virus, and later intends to kill herself, but she's saved by Ethan and the antidote.

Ving Rhames is back as Luther, and while in the first Mission: Impossible, he was funny, interesting, the hacker of the group, this movie completely takes those first two away. I don't think I can tell you much about Mission: Impossible 2 Luther except he's the hacker. Also, I can't tell you a single thing about his helicopter pilot.

Dougray Scott is the bad guy. From what I could remember, he wanted the virus so he could unleash it on the world and they can pay for the antidote. Also, he used to be in a relationship with Nyah.

I don't think I can tell you anything about Anthony Hpokins' character except that he is a friend of Ethan's. I don't even remember his name.

Overall, this is just a forgettable movie. I don't see myself watching it again in the future anytime soon. I really only see myself buying it is if it comes in a box set or something.

Mission: Impossible 2 gets a 5/10.

Tomorrow I'm reviewing Mission: Impossible 3, let's hope that one is good.

Previous review - Mission Impossible
Next review - Mission: Impossible III

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers - Film Review

Wonder Woman - Film Review

2nd Greatest Movie Ever Made - The Disaster Artist - Film Review